Return to Alaska Coin Exchange homepage
Return to ACCent homepage
ACCent: The Monthly Newsletter of the Anchorage Coin Club
Membership Meeting 1st Wed. each month, 7 PM, Central Lutheran Church, 15th and Cordova
Vol. 25 No. 8
NEXT MEMBERSHIP MEETING: AUGUST 1st
COIN GRADING WORKSHOP
Event held at the Abbott Community Park starting at 12 noon and running through the afternoon. Potluck event with lots of food.
Highlight of the afternoon was the club's Donation Coin Auction with proceeds going towards our club programs. Auctioned were 33 lots (with lots of silver coinage donated) that resulted in $ 654 to the club. Thanks go to all of our club members who generously donated these lots.
Club raffle coins were also drawn at the club's picnic:
* 1906 $ 2 & 1/2 U.S. Liberty Gold ANACS AU58 won by Maribel.
* 1880 $20 U.S. Legal Tender Note PMG F15 won by Maribel.
* 1883 Hawaii King Kalakaua Half Dollar won by Dan Earnhardt.
July 18th Board Meeting
Board meeting called to order by club president Carl at 6:40 PM, July 18th at the New Cauldron Restaurant / University Center.
First order of business was a review of correspondence and bills (club's PO Box). Club's summer picnic event was reviewed by Board. Overall....good event.
Next discussion item was coin shows. Carl will follow-up with Toby/Excalibur Sports on possible coin show in September at the Northway Mall. Club will also be looking at two more coin shows for the remainder of the calendar year (one in October following the release of the Permanent Dividend and the second during the Christmas season - at the University Center).
Final discussion was on the club's Raffle Program.
John Larson has one more raffle coin remaining for the December Christmas Party (a U.S. Gold piece). Club will augment with a second coin for this next raffle. Carl brought up the point that we need to look at changes in our club's raffle program. In evaluating the situation on raffle tickets sold...it came down to most tickets sold were those purchased at our club meetings and at the raffle drawing. Carl has been selling raffle tickets at his shop... but with poor results. Effective next year, Board is looking at:
* Smaller raffle prizes (~$100-$200) coins/currency that would be raffle off every two months at our club meetings.
* If club does go to higher priced coins/currency, focus that item at our club's Christmas Party.
Next club meeting will be on Wednesday, August 1st. Refreshments will be chili dogs, chips, and sodas. Club members can bring in other items to add to this menu. Club's program for that evening will be a "Coin Grading Workshop". Members are asked to bring in a coin.... and their coin grading books.
Meeting adjourned at 7:35 PM...... Larry Nakata/Secretary.
Last: NEPSINE- plural of penny, a colloquial term taken from the British penny to mean cent.
List of Auction Lots for August Meeting:
1. 1913-P (T2) Buffalo 5c DDR (FS-1801) AU-55 Minimum Bid (MB) $ 55
2. 1913-D (T2) Buffalo 5c MS-63 MB $ 225
3. 1929-S Buffalo 5c MS-64 MB $ 95
4. 1938 Proof 5c PCGS PF-66 MB $ 95
5. 1943/2-P Jefferson 5cAU-58 MB $ 95
6. 1932-S Washington 25c VG MB $ 95
7. 1937-D Washington 25c MS-64 MB $ 70
8. 1964-D Washington 25c Type C Rev (FS-901) PCGS MS-62 MB $ 125
9. 1882-O/S Morgan $1 (VAM-5) (Top 100) PCGS MS-60 MB $ 100
10. 1880-S Morgan $1 MS-64 P/L Original Toning MB $ 75
11. 1883-O Morgan $1 MS-63 Crescent Toning MB $ 50
12. 1927-P Peace $1 MS-63 MB $ 95
13. 1877-S U.S. Trade $1 Fine MB $ 110
14. Two (2) 1961 U.S. Proof Sets MB $ 42
15. 1897 South Africa 2 & 1/2 Shillings Satirical Token (carved) MB $20
16. Donation Lot: $1 Freedom Tower Medal (July 4th 2004).
BRING A COIN OR TWO TO THE MEETING AND THE
ALASKA GRADING COUNCIL
WILL GIVE YOU A CONSENSUS GRADE
BRING YOUR GRADING GUIDE AND BE PREPARED TO ARGUE
CITY:________________________ STATE:_______ ZIP:___________
DUES: Regular; Full membership for those living in Anchorage $25
Sponsored membership - first year $15
Senior, Handicap, & Associates outside Anchorage area $10
Junior; those under the age of 17 $5
Life membership $250
Send application and dues to :
Anchorage Coin Club
P.O. Box 230169
Anchorage, Alaska 99523
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
ANCHORAGE COIN CLUB
$2 1/2 Gold
TICKETS: $5 each or 5 for $20.00
ANCHORAGE COIN CLUB OFFICERS:
President: Carl Mujagic
Vice President: Robert Hughes
Secretary: Larry Nakata
Treasurer: Stan Mead
Board Seat #1: Loren Lucason
Board Seat #2: John Larson
Board Seat #3: Tim Burke
ACCent Editor: Loren Lucason