Return to Alaska Coin Exchange homepage
Return to ACCent homepage
ACCent: The Monthly Newsletter of the Anchorage Coin Club
Membership Meeting 1st Wed. each month, 7 PM, Central Lutheran Church, 15th and Cordova
Vol. 23 No. 12
NEXT MEMBERSHIP MEETING IS THE CHRISTMAS DINNER:
DECEMBER 9TH - THE BIG COIN AUCTION
As part of the "America the Beautiful" quarter program the U.S. mint will be issuing a Denali Park commemorative quarter in 2012. The design for the quarter has already been all but set in stone. In 2003 congress set up the "Artistic Infusion Program" to improve the designs on all these new coins (and notes) being issued. They work with the CCAC (citizens coinage advisory committee) to create pleasing designs.
Four designs for the Denali quarter made it through the design and elimination process.
This design got the most votes from the committee. Though it was recommended that the sheep be made a bit larger.
Once all the adjustments are made and agreed to all that is left is for the Secretary of the Treasury to put a stamp on it and send it to the mint.
The mint is having trouble finding 5 oz. planchets so the release date for the large "America the Beautiful" silver coins is TBD (to be determined).
1922 Gold Certificate graded VF25
1902 Bison Note graded VF
1884-CC GSA Morgan Dollar NGC MS62
One of the highlights of our Christmas dinner party is the drawing of raffle tickets. This year we have some particularly nice prizes. You could win a note from when they had gold coins at the bank. Or your ticket might win you a note from when the buffalo roamed the planes or, maybe, a Carson City silver dollar in original GSA packaging.
Get your tickets at the party just before the drawing and they will be at the top of the barrel. The more tickets you buy the better price you get per ticket and each ticket is good for one of the prizes.
Door Prize: Gold plated set of 2005 State Quarters. Won by Paul Gabbert.
Membership Prize: Platinum plated set of 2005 State Quarters. Won by Larry Bender.
Briefing to membership on details of club's December 9th (2nd Thursday) Christmas Party at Central Lutheran Church:
• Potluck event starting at 6 PM.
• If your last name ends between A and M, bring a side dish or salad (enough to feed at least 6 people).
• If your last name ends between N and Z, bring a dessert.
• Some of our club members have volunteered to bring the ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy.
• Club will provide the plates, forks, spoons, knives, napkins, cups, soda pop, chips, and dips.
• Main event will be the club's Christmas Coin Auction. If you wish to submit lots for the auction, bring them to the December 9th event.
Thank you to club President Tim Burke for storing our coin club tables at his place.
Announcement by Stan Mead that the ANA 2011 National Coin Week's (April 17-23, 2011) theme will be "Blue, Gray, and Greenbacks". Theme is intended to commemorate the sesquicentennial of the Civil War and the numismatic changes that occurred during the conflict. Refer to www.money.org for details of activities.
Discussion of a coin show in the month of December with membership. Membership approved coin show for December 18th / 19th at the University Center. Tables and cases will be provided FREE (on a first come first served basis) to any club member who would like to set up and sell their coins/numismatic items. Available until we run out. Contact Carl (#561-2275) to reserve.
Presentation by Mike Orr on the subject of "Bronze/ Copper Coinage of the Early Roman Emperors".
Coin "bullet" auction concluded club's meeting. Next meeting Dec. 9th - Christmas Party 6pm.
Last: STUSSETIRE - SESTERTIUS: A large bronze ancient Roman coin.
Board meeting called to order at 6:30 PM at the New Cauldron Restaurant in the University Center.
Following a distribution of correspondence, the Board reviewed the list of auction lots submitted to date for the December 9th Christmas Coin Auction. List to be published in this month's newsletter.
Gaming check for $613.74 "cut" to coin club from Gaming Account as the Year 2010 Donation.
Thanks go to Board members Stan Mead, Robert Hughes, and Larry Nakata for volunteering to provide the turkeys, hams, mashed potatoes, and gravy for the December 9th event.
Club's insurance policy approved for renewal for 2011 ($320 for the year). Board also approved donation of $360 to Central Lutheran Church for use of their facilities for our club meetings.
Review by Board on request by one of our club members to post and ad in our club's newsletter. President Tim Burke to follow up with that club member on getting more specific details.
As there was no further business to discuss, the Board meeting adjourned at 7:20 PM...... Larry Nakata/Secretary.
Next meeting Dec. 15th 6:30pm.
If you have your new born son's college fund already invested in coins....
You are probably a numismatist...
And you should belong to the Anchorage Coin Club.
COME PREPARED FOR THE AUCTION:
BRING MONEY TO SELL BRING MONEY TO BUY
BRING YOUR FAMILY
and have a
1. 1895 Indian Cent AU58No Min.
2. 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent MS63 RBNo Min.
3. 1913-P (TI) Buffalo Nickel MS65+ Full Strike$ 95
4. 1914/3-D Buffalo Nickel Fine$ 95
5. 1883 Hawaiian 10c FineNo Min.
6. 1916-P Mercury 10c MS64 FSBNo Min.
7. 1934-D Mercury 10c MS65$ 45
8. 1909-P Barber Quarter MS63$250
9. 1932-S Washington Quarter XFNo Min.
10. 1813 Bust Half Dollar FineNo Min.
11. 1838 Bust Half Dollar (Reeded Edge) FineNo Min.
12. 1799/8 Bust $1 (R-5) Fine$1350
13. 1896-S Morgan Dollar FineNo Min.
14. 1851 T-l Gold Dollar (ex cufflink)No Min.
15. 1864 $20 Confederate Currency VGNo Min.
16. 1878-S PCGS MS64 Morgan Dollar$ 100
17. 1878-CC PCGS MS62 Morgan Dollar$250
18. 1881-O PCGS MS63 DMPL Morgan Dollar$310
19. 1891-CC PCGS VF30 Morgan Dollar$105
20. 1903 NGC MS64 Morgan Dollar$95
21. 1847 $10 Gold DOS AU50$850
22. 1985 CLAD Proof Set$4
23. 1987 CLAD Proof Set$3.75
24. 1989 CLAD Proof Set$5.50
25. 1992 CLAD Proof Set$4
26. 1636-8 Shilling, Great Britain Fine$100
27. 1488-1531 Billon Plack Scotland F/VF$130
28. 1874 Half Crown Great Britain G/VG$10
29. 1913 Dime ICCS Canada AU55$32
30. 251-53 AD Roman Imperial Sestertius VG/F$35
31. 307-37 AD Roman Imperial AE3 XF$50
32. 308-24 AD Roman Imperial Follis VF$10
33. 198-209 AD Roman Imperial Denarius VF$95
34. 218-22 AD Roman Imperial Denarius VF/XF$110
35. 141 AD Roman Imperial Denarius VF/XF$155
36. 2008 Silver Alaska Quarter w/Gold Bear$26.00
37. 3 AAFES War Tokens 5 centsNo Min.
38. 3 AAFES War Tokens 10 centsNo Min.
39. 2 Ike Dollars 1974-D, 1976 in caps.Donation
40... Numismatic items from The Alaska Mint and other members. Come see.
CITY:________________________ STATE:_______ ZIP:___________
DUES: Regular; Full membership for those living in Anchorage $25
Sponsored membership - first year $15
Senior, Handicap, & Associates outside Anchorage area $10
Junior; those under the age of 17 $5
Life membership $250
Send application and dues to :
Anchorage Coin Club
P.O. Box 230169
Anchorage, Alaska 99523
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
ANCHORAGE COIN CLUB
WINNING TICKETS TO BE DRAWN AT OUR
COME TO THE NEXT MEETING
AND SEE THE 3 RAFFLE PRIZES!
TICKETS: $5 each or 5 for $20
SECOND AND THIRD PRIZE SAME TICKET
ANCHORAGE COIN CLUB OFFICERS:
President: Tim Burke
Vice President: Carl
Secretary: Larry Nakata
Treasurer: Stan Mead
Board Member: John Larson
Board Member: Robert
ACCent Editor: Loren Lucason
#1 Robert Hall: 479-715-6841
#91 Mike Orr: themoneymerchant.com
#110 Bill Fivaz: e-mail email@example.com
#210 Tom Cederlind: tomcederlind.com